Now that most of us have finally determined how to spell Pinterest along comes Instagram. Instagram is a mobile application that is the brain child of Kevin Systrom, a university friend of Mark Zuckerberg’s. In reality, Zuckerberg invited Systrom to sign up with him at Instagram when the social media marketing site was still just an understanding in Zuckerberg’s head, but Systrom opted to stay in school. That decision has ended in Systrom becoming Silicon Valley’s, and Stanford University’s, latest internet billionaire.
Instagram is a free photo sharing social media site launched on October 6, 2010. It allows users to download photos, process them through a digital filter, and share these with other users they may be attached to. Instagram continues to be wildly successful from the start. By December 2010 they already had over 1 million users. By April 2012, 30 million users were downloading over 150 million photos on Instagram. Also in April, Instagram became accessible to android users. Seeing a menace to its social media dominance, Facebook acted fast to neutralize its latest competitor. Again in April, Facebook bought Instagram for $1 billion.
How can local small businesses utilize Instagram? First, you have to register. To sign up a business you must have a location page. In order to produce location page for your business, you have to create your account in Foursquare. Foursquare is a location based social media site for mobile users. Instagram uses Foursquare’s location database to tag a photograph for that location. In case your location will not be already listed on Foursquare’s database, you can add it by simply following these steps as recommended on Instagram’s webpage:
1. Sing up utilizing your brand name because the user name.
2. Give a profile picture, information about the organization along with a link to your web page
3. Link to our other social media marketing accounts (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
Now you have your bank account set up, you can start to develop a presence on Instagram. Amongst the strategies that you simply can use are:
1. Share compelling content. Where have you ever heard that before? Anyone who has followed inbound marketing, seo, and building an online presence recognizes that everything starts with content. Don’t be scared to test out your photos. Request feedback from your followers. What exactly do they like the most? What about the very least?
2. Use hashtags to locate more followers and share your photos. When you use hashtags, be specific. This will help find like-minded individuals who could be more likely to be interested in your products or services. So as opposed to simply saying #car, say #bmw. Try to engage those who are most directly considering your products or services. Take a look at the other companies are doing within your industry. They probably used ideas who have not occurred for you.
3. Share the photo on other social media marketing sites. Instagram allows you to easily share photos on Facebook, Foursquare, Twitter, Tumblr, and Flickr. Once these users view your photo they will likely visit your site, or commence to follow yourself on Instagram.
4. Ensure your photos tell the story you would like to tell. Posting a photo of this great steak dinner you’re going to eat won’t can you much good in the event you own a tire shop. Be authentic. Your users can know if the photos you might be posting are actual or otherwise not
5. Remain consistent. Don’t over-saturate your site content, but post often enough to help keep our followers engaged.
One of many criticisms of Instagram is the fact its filters destroy good photographs. This complaint has come mainly from professional photographers who may be feeling the warmth of competition. Their standards of the items is acceptable are usually higher than people at large as well. For the majority of business purposes, the photo reproduction in Instagram is “adequate”.
The other criticism is that Instagram has no business model and virtually no income. But that is Facebook’s problem, not yours. As increasing numbers of online searchers conduct business on mobile phones, this is the prudent internet marketer that will help the most. Leveraging apps like Instagram will probably pay dividends down the road.
Instagram is not really the spot to easily share product shots constantly. Consider the experience individuals have using what you’re offering, or the benefits it gives people. Even better, show real-examples. Requesting user-generated content from the audience is one way to do this. That means that users share their photos utilizing a hashtag you provide.
You don’t must cram every hashtag you can think about in a single post, but you do need at the very least a couple of. A hashtag is the # sign followed by descriptive words regarding your image as in this example, I used #marketing and #ctaconf, which had been the conference I had been attending at that time. Each time a user clicks/taps on a hashtag or types a hashtag to the search box, it raises all images which use that hashtag. An individual can even subscribe to continue to follow that hashtag.
Anticipation will be the user will spot your photo, head to your profile and greatest-case scenario, follow you and also get engaged with additional of the posts! However, when hashtags are incredibly popular, the competition to show up in the results is fierce. Comparable to SEO keywords, the greater popular a term is, the harder it really is to keep in the top in the search results. Thus, my demonstration of using #marketing really lwvnib futile should i desired to have any traction from that post.
You would like to create your hashtags relevant to your small business and location, but in addition engaging enough that a user would type them into Instagram’s search box. Make sure to let people know that the images might be featured on your page and you also can boost your Instagram content in a major way – at no cost!
No matter how you make use of Instagram for your business, be authentic and true to your brand. It’s what the platform is centered on, and it’s going to assist you improve your business, gain Instagram followers and attract sales or leads.